Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Picc Line Removal

My 7 week course of antibotics had come to a close, so I had my picc line removed last night by my home care nurse. It was a simple procedure, although I am not one to watch! I would say the hardest part of the whole thing was removing the adhesive bandages that go around it. After that was done she cleaned the area, told me to take a deep breath and then proceeded to pull out the line. Afterwards pressure had to be applied for a bit and then my arm was wrapped tightly with tape. I was able to remove that earlier this morning.

You need to be careful for the first 24 hours as your arm/vein heal. So basically it's the same precautions as when you have the picc line in.....no lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk and or rigorious movements.

The most exciting thing was I didn't have to shower with my arm sleeve on this morning!

My arm still feels like jello since I haven't used it much. I'm going to start to slowly build some strength in it by doing some yoga and light lifting. Unfortunately I'll be getting another picc line after my next surgery in a little over a week, so I'm going to enjoy this time as much as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment