Monday, November 25, 2013

My seizure experiences

There are many different types of seizures one can have. I've had 3 since my original surgery in 2007. The first one I had was before I was put on any type of medication. This one was called a "Grand Mal" seizure, which is the "biggest" and "most dramatic" a person can experience. Unfortunately I was sleeping when it happened, so I cannot recall details although I was able to pinpoint what I had due to the effects:

Grand Mal Seizure:
1. Unconsciousness (3+ minutes)
2. Stiffening and jerking of the muscles every 30-60 seconds.
3. Tongue biting
4. Loss of bladder control
5. Pupil dilation
5. Deep sleep after seizure (additional 6+ hours)

Afterward my body had felt like I had just run a marathon because every muscle so extremely sore and I was so physically exhausted.

My second grand mal seizure occurred in my sleep as well. I didn't have as much soreness is my muscles and the tongue biting wasn't as severe.

The third, and most recent, seizure happened in December 2012. And even though it wasn't a "grand mal" it was the most terrifying to date. This was mainly because I was conscious for the entire episode. I was on the treadmill doing interval running and my vision started to get a bit distorted. Normally when this occurs I get a migraine, but I also had a strange feeling in my head that was very different from what I have felt before. I immediately got off the treadmill and collapsed on my side. My arm was jerking and I had no control of it. I was also unable to speak to try and get help. Luckily my father heard the treadmill running with no one on it and came to see what was wrong. Shortly after I was taken to the emergency room where I had a CT scan and nothing showed up abnormal. Although by the time the took the scan it was about 4-5 post seizure. We believe this was either a myclonic or atonic episode.

Today I continue to do what I can to prevent another seizure from happening:
Take meds on time
Get enough sleep
Limit alcohol
Limit stress (easier said than done) 
Not physically overworking (i.e. exercise)

I do recommend always carrying your seizure meds on you just in case. And also make sure the people are are around the most (friends, co-workers, family, etc.) know your situation and your hospital preference.


No comments:

Post a Comment